Twenty years ago, the concept of "planned replacement" did not exist. And the manufacturers recommended wearing the lenses until irritation, watery eyes, or redness appeared.
Many users wore the same pair of lenses for months or even years. This often led to discomfort and complications. And, of course, people considered lenses to be the cause. This is where the myths that soft contact lenses (SCL) are uncomfortable and dangerous for the eyes came from.
Today it is considered correct to change lenses regularly to prevent discomfort and complications. Therefore, manufacturers have introduced the concept of "scheduled replacement period" and began to limit the time of wearing SCL.
Wear lenses with the understanding that now the health of your eyes will depend only on your consciousness and discipline. And that's what we mean. Contact lenses are medications that help the patient to correct myopia, farsightedness, astigmatism, and even age-related visual impairment. At first glance, nothing complicated because you just need to put on them, and you already can see perfectly! But, in truth, such a correction entails a number of binding rules.
Now we, in any case, do not want to warn you against wearing lenses. They actually correct vision well and are insanely convenient and practical. Simply compared with ordinary glasses, they require more attention. You need to wear glasses for the vision when you need it. And the care of glasses is reduced to wiping the lenses from dust and stains. Soft contact devices should be worn only in a strictly specified time, not mixing up one with others. Care for the lenses need to be more careful, they need to be stored carefully in special means.
Ignoring the rules of using SCL will be harmful and cause serious consequences. If you wear them much more than needed (they should be worn exclusively in day regime) and do you not remove in during several days or even weeks, the state of the eye and the sight will only worsen and can sharply decline immediately on several points. You can even go blind and unable to wear them anymore.
How to understand that you use them improperly or mix them up?
When you use means of contact correction of sight of planned replacement, often there is a desire to prolong their operation, which terms are established by the manufacturer.
At the end of the service life, different particles such as dust, cosmetic dirt, protein deposits stick to the surface of the lenses. This gradually destroys the surface of the lens itself. Eyes react very sharply to "bad lenses." And here's how it can manifest:
- redness of the cornea. The first thing you should pay attention to is that your eyeball looks suspiciously inflamed, red. This is evidence that your eyes are getting little oxygen. Why is this happening? When the period of use of lenses is over, and you still wear them, the flow of oxygen to the cornea is significantly reduced. Lack of air prevents the normal metabolism of eyeball cells. Because of this, externally, is observed the redness of the eyes. In fact, the problem is very serious and causes corneal hypoxia, which leads to corneal oedema, vascular ingrowth, decreased vision, blindness;
- discomfort when wearing SCL. Occurs when you have Long mixed lenses up. That's why the edges of the lenses can be damaged over time. Tiny cracks appear on the surfaces of the material. When you touch the lens on the eyelid or cornea they irritate and create a feeling of pain and inability to wear lenses;
- cloudy vision. This is one of the main symptoms that occur when increasing the shelf life of the devices. Both internal and external surface is going through all sorts of absorbing foreign particles. A large number of them can cause the growth of bacteria, as well as a decrease in the clarity of vision in the lenses.
Types of contact lens wear
Modern ophthalmology and manufacturers of means of contact correction allocate several main terms on which it is necessary to wear lenses. Among them are:
- Daily period of wearing (including one-day CL). The time interval is not more than 12 hours per day. The marking on the package is DW. After wearing, such CL should be removed from the surface of the eyeball, disinfected with a universal solution, and stored in a special container with liquid. With such a period of wearing lenses are made for all needs-correction of farsightedness, myopia, astigmatism, age-related farsightedness. The most common material of lenses with a daily period of wearing is a hydrogel.
- Nightwear time. The time interval is no more than 8-10 hours. They are worn exclusively at night when the patient goes to bed. During their stay on the eyeball, lenses improve vision, and during the day, the need for vision correction is absent.
- Flexible wearing time. The time interval is up to 12 hours a day, with the ability to sleep in the lenses 2-3 nights in a row. The marking on the package is FW. Wearing such MCL can be longer than the day, but after removing them, one must carefully treat in order to prevent the development of microorganisms on their surface. And eyes must necessarily be restrained from optical appliances.
- A prolonged period of wearing. The time interval is 7 days without removing. This is a great option for those people who are often on the road, traveling, who have a night work schedule. During the week, it is allowed not to shoot at all (only pay attention to the state of the cornea and your personal feelings). After that, the lenses are carried out a deep cleaning with the help of special tools, left for storage in the solution, and the eyes are given time to rest, namely a few days.
- Continuous wearing life. The time interval of 1 month without removing. This is the last generation of MICROL of the best materials, which have the highest rates of oxygen penetration and moisture content inside the material. Such lenses must be worn only after consultation with a doctor and after they have studied all the features of your eyes. If you have a tendency to allergic reactions, then most likely, this type of MCL will not suit you. After all, 1 month without removing is a very long time, in which the eyes should be in excellent condition.
On consultation at the ophthalmologist, it is possible to learn, what CL to you approach, whether it is possible to sleep in them and how to look after that successfully to use lenses many years.
Term of wearing (replacement) lenses
The replacement period primarily depends on the lens material, its resistance to protein, and fat deposits.
This parameter sharply limits the time of use of one pair of CL. It shows how long the products remain wearable. And it clearly regulates, in how many days, weeks, or months they need to be thrown away and replaced with new ones.
Depending on the period of replacement lenses are:
- Daily. They are made of materials to which proteins and lipids quickly stick. During the day, these lenses accumulate a lot of deposits and spoil in the evening. For this reason, they can only be worn for 1 day.
- Fortnightly. Made from materials that are more resistant to protein and lipid deposits. These SCL come into disrepair after two weeks of wearing.
- Monthly. It can be worn longer due to better resistance to deposits. Curiously, in some MCL monthly replacement, you can sleep and walk up to 30 days without removing.
- Quarterly. Made of hydrogel materials resistant to fat and, to a lesser extent, to protein deposits. They can be worn for up to three months. They are subject to regular deep cleaning by peroxide systems.
- Standard. Resistant to all types of deposits, which allows you to wear them up to 6-10 months. These SCLs are the most durable and wear-resistant, but they are poorly breathable, which is their disadvantage.
With careful handling and proper care, the lenses serve perfectly during the entire period of wearing. But in some cases, they deteriorate ahead of time, which is why they have to be thrown away.
The wear time of SCL can be reduced:
- if they are not properly cared for;
- to wear them for some eye diseases;
- to instill eyes with medical drops, without previously removing SCL;
- if you sit for a long time in lenses in a room with dry/air-conditioned air.
These factors can accelerate the wear and tear of the SCL. As a result, the lenses will begin to cause discomfort, and they will need to be replaced prematurely.
Marking mode and term on the package
On each package with SCL, the recommended mode and term of wearing is written. It is also specified and shelf life of products. Always read the label before using contact lenses. And be sure to follow the manufacturers' recommendations. After all, the health of your eyes depends on it.
Care for lenses is very important
Remember: your health depends on how carefully you care for the lenses. Therefore, you must strictly adhere to them wherever you are. This will help you keep your eyes healthy and also avoid many unpleasant consequences.